The Student News Site of Pella High School

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pella High set to perform the Sound of Music

This year’s musical at Pella High, directed by choir director Michelle Chaplin, is The Sound of Music. The movie adaption of The Sound of Music starring Julie Andrews had it’s 50 year anniversary in 2015.  Chaplin reassured the age of the show does not change the message and relevance.

It is a timeless story of love and the power of family, featuring great music that all will recognize. It is set at the dawn of World War 2 and explores one family’s search for joy through music and laughter,” said Chaplin. “ Plus we have nuns and nazis!

According to junior Erica Egesdal, who plays Louisa one of the Von Trapp children, The Sound of Music is “basically this family with no mother and thier father is a captain, so he’s very strict and the kids lose their place. Maria comes in and is the nanny and helps them find joy in life.”

Chaplin went on a  family trip to Austria to visit the setting of The Sound of Music.  

“[It’s a show] I’ve always wanted to direct,” said Chaplin.  I’ve directed a lot of musicals, and this is one that has such fun music and characters.”

At the beginning of the school year, Chaplin held auditions for children between the ages of five and ten to fill the roles of the younger children.

“I’ve always thought high school students should have a majority of the roles in a high school play,” Chaplin explained. “The ones that we thought could fit those absolutely teeny tiniest little characters we put that amount in, which ended up being two little girls and a little boy.”

Despite being early into practices for the musical, Egesdal already knows her favorite part is working with the younger cast members.

“[The best part is] getting to work with people from different age groups and meeting new people that all have the same interests that I do.” said Egesdal.