The Student News Site of Pella High School

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pelladium

Cultured Butter: The end

The time has come for my final column in the Pelladium. In the past, I’ve seen seniors start their columns by talking about how they left their articles until the last minute, but I’m too responsible for that. Instead of writing this the night before, I’m writing it the day before!

But, in all seriousness, the end of my senior year is bringing about the end of a major chapter in my life. I hadn’t expected such an abrupt ending, but it’s most certainly a permanent one. I’ll be going to new places, meeting new people, taking new classes, and, frankly, coming up with new ways to make people laugh. The transition doesn’t quite feel real yet, and the constant isolation and lack of major senior milestones (prom, a traditional graduation, even Tulip Time, to a certain extent) certainly isn’t helping anything.

Still, I’m glad for what this time to myself is helping me learn. Having to set my own schedule is a skill I’m glad to learn now, while I have the safety net of a pass-fail grading system that I can no longer really fail, rather than down the line in college. Working to keep in touch with people I no longer see will also probably lead to more friendships staying strong as I move forward through life. And, of course, I’ve gotten very good at some of my favorite video games. All this time can be spent how I want to spend it, giving me a freedom that I doubt will be matched at any other point in my life.

I’ll certainly miss PHS, and all the friends and memories I made there. From construction, to sinkholes, to losing backpacks, the time I’ve spent there has always been interesting. It’s fitting, in a way, that the final surprise would be to make me leave earlier. I thank all my teachers for teaching me what they have, and I wish the best of luck to all the other seniors as they depart into the world. So long, and thanks for all the fish!