The Student News Site of Pella High School

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pelladium

Wrestling’s New Vision

The wrestling team has a “New Vision” for the program this year. With a new coach, new wrestling room, and a new approach to the program, players and coaches are confident in the abilities of the wrestlers in Pella.

“We’re basically a new team this year. A lot of us don’t know each other that well so we’re using study tables to improve our overall GPA and to have us all work together and get stuff done,” said junior Dreyton Vander Werf.

From the coaches, to the freshmen, and to all the new recruits, this team will be expected to work hard on and off the mats. With the “New Vision,” wrestlers will be required by the coaching staff to meet at a study table once a week to make sure that they are holding themselves and their teammates accountable for their grades.

“We have a really new team compared to last year. We lost a lot of people but also have a lot of incoming freshman that are going to give a fresh look to the program. The new room is almost twice the size with new mats. I’m ready to see how this year goes for us,” said junior Cole Bisbee.

During the first few practices, athletes can get a good feel of what the year will be like. So far this year, coaches have been pushing athletes to exceed what they previously thought they could do.

“A new coach always brings a new tradition,” said junior Tyler Vandermolen.  “I think with the new athletes we have coming up, that’s what will happen; we’ll have a new tradition in Pella with wrestling.”