The Student News Site of Pella High School

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pelladium

Honoring Guy Blair at Tulip Time

During Tulip Time, the Marching Dutch honored Guy Blair with a memorial march in the Saturday afternoon parade. Band alumni marched behind the current marching band.  Blair was the Pella band director from 1973-2005. According to KNIA, he transformed the Pella band into one of the best in Iowa. He led the Marching Dutch to 49 consecutive Division 1 ratings and brought the band to their first 2 Rose Parade appearances.

Sheri Roselien is a former student of Guy Blair and is now an at-risk teacher at Pella High School. “He was the foundation of the Pella band that gave it its credibility early on and from then on everybody just wanted to keep going and to become better and better,” said Roslien.

Roselien feels that being a part of the band positively affected her. 

“I was intimidated by him. I was scared of him because he had such a good reputation and I never thought I could be good enough,” said she said. “But when you work hard at something and you put in the time and the energy, and you do well, it’s impossible not to feel a sense of confidence.” 

Senior Lacy Bainum has been in the Marching Dutch since freshman year. Bainum was marching in front of the alumni at the Tulip Time parade. She also met some former alumni and learned how the band had changed over the years when Blair was director. 

It was the coolest thing to be able to meet these people who have been so close to Guy Blair and listen to some of their stories of the band,” said Bainum. “It showed me how much the marching band world has changed since some of the years that these people were in high school, like the color guard used to have pom-poms and skirt uniforms. Not to mention the crowds of people at Tulip Time were loving the inclusivity of the event.” 

According to Bainum, Blair has set up the band for future success and his legacy will not be forgotten. 

“His legacy will be part of the Marching Dutch as it should be for years to come,” said Bainum.  “He will forever be remembered as a Pella Band Director legend for Pella Schools.”