Lady Dutch Leadership

The Lady Dutch volleyball team has 5 seniors this year: Anna VanderWaal, Meridith Rowe, Bailey Van Voorst, Avey Amelse, and Ella Corbin. The team has had great success this season with such an experienced team. They have a winning record of 29-9.

Both VanderWaal and Van Voorst have been playing on the varsity team since their freshman season.

A lot has changed over the seasons,” said Van Voorst.  “I started off being the little freshman looking up to some really great senior leaders. The next year I had to step into a leadership role as we graduated 7 seniors.” 

Both girls’ have since stepped into the leadership position. The leadership that the seniors’ created has impacted the younger girls. 

The seniors have been super influential to me through high school,” said junior Jasmine Namminga. “They are all great leaders, who love playing volleyball.” 

The team has also created a strong bond together.

One of the things I love most about the volleyball team is the relationships we all have with one another,” said Namminga. “We make jokes, laugh and have a great time together.” 

The team has been going to Saturday tournaments, making memories

This year I get to end my high school volleyball career playing with my best friends,” said Van Voorst. “It’s different because we have played for 7 years together, and this is the last year we will ever play together again.” 

The team bond isn’t the only thing that improves with an experienced team. 

“I think having an experienced team is a huge part of our success this season. With experience brings maturity on the court, and knowledge of the smart plays at different times,” said Amelse. “It also is great for confidence.” 

Amelse transferred to Pella last year from Pella Christian and has been an important part of the team this year. She also believes the switch made her a better player, 

“It forced me to constantly work hard as a spot was not guaranteed, and I had to earn it! I also think being surrounded with so many good and experienced players at Pella has helped me improve my skills.”

As the season begins to reach the postseason, the ultimate goal for this senior led team is to make state. On the way there, they have smaller goals for each skill and game. Improving on each individual skill has been a huge focus in practices. The extra focus can ultimately help push the team on to the conference title and state tournament.