The Baseball Season is Underway

The beginning of the high school baseball season is always an exciting time for the players and fans. In Iowa, the anticipation is no different, as many talented student-athletes hit the field to showcase their skills. 

The Pella Dutch are coming off an incredible season making state.  Although they lost to Davenport Assumption, they are coming back hungry. With more and more sophomores coming up to varsity, the future of the program is through the roots, even some freshmen are playing on varsity.

One senior sticks out from the rest of the group, Kellan Shull. He started high school at Pella, but at the end of his sophomore year, he transferred to Pella Christian.  But now he is back for the Dutch this year and expecting to be a big piece of this team.

“I wanted to come back and be around all of the people I grew up with since elementary school,” he said. “There are so many memories with all of them.”

Shull feels the importance of his role as he states, “I want to be the best leader for our team that I can be and lead by example for the younger players.”

The Dutch are off to a rough start at 2-2, but there is still a long season ahead to turn it around. The thing is that this team is young, with no juniors on the team, and they lost 4 seniors last year. Someone needs to lead the ship and help bring this young herd to the promised land.