The Student News Site of Pella High School

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pelladium

Dutch have a ‘Wild’ End to their Season

The Pella Marching Dutch is under the direction of Dameon Place, Gabe Schott, Jeff Robiliard, Sam Nau, Rachael Wurr, and Autumn Bennet. The Marching Dutch had a successful competitive season, winning first place in their class at Valleyfest and Ankeny. Over this season the band won percussion, colorguard, music, visual, and soloist bari sax caption awards. 

On September 30, the Dutch traveled to Waukee to compete in the Bands of America competition for the first time. That weekend they ventured into a new world of competition. The Dutch saw bands that they traditionally do not compete with from Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, and even Ohio.

It was very nerve racking, like the first performance I was very very jittery and I had music going and was trying to calm myself down. For the second performance, it went a lot better and I felt a lot more confident,” said senior Hayden DuBois. 

The results came in with the Marching Dutch placing first in Class 1A at Bands of America and in all caption awards. They placed sixth within the twelve other bands during the finals.

Hayden has a special role of starting the show by riding the one-wheel electric skateboard and being featured throughout. 

“I really love this show; there are a lot of elements,” said DuBois. “My favorite part is probably when Ryan spins on the gyroscope because out of all the moments in the show it gets one of the most reactions out of the audience, and I get to sit back in that moment and watch.” 

The show is really one of a kind with trampolines, a spinning gyroscope, a one-wheel electric skateboard, and a dance break. These components really make the show stand out from others and feature the ‘wild’ side of the Marching Dutch. Now as their marching season is over, the band is now beginning their concert band season.