The Student News Site of Pella High School

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pelladium

The Dutch Bring Home 1st and 2nd place

Andrew Schneider

Pella High School’s Cross Country teams had quite a successful season this year. Both the boys’ and the girls’ teams headed to State with the girls’ team taking home the first place trophy for the second year in a row, and the boys’ team placing second.  In addition to this, sophomores Marissa Ferebee and Canaan Dunham came back as 3A individual champions. 

This was the first year for freshman Ruth Dunham and senior Stephen Gaul to compete at state.

State this year was a very interesting experience. It was really cold which definitely affected our team, but we were still able to come through and perform like we always do. Even though my personal time wasn’t my best, I’m really proud of my team for putting in all of the work this season, so we could come home as state champions.” stated Dunham. 

With the season being officially finished, the team is now starting to set goals and prepare for the 2024-25 season.

“Next year we really want to try and make a good appearance at state again. Obviously the goal is to try to take home the trophy for the 3rd year in a row, so I’m really excited to work hard this summer to help my team achieve this! Individually,’ said Dunham. “I would like to increase my weekly mileage a little bit and also run under 19 minutes for the first time.” 

Dunham is also planning on running track in the spring, ultimately helping her prepare for next year’s cross country season. 

While new things are beginning for freshman Dunham, many things are ending for senior Gaul. “I have no regrets,” said Gaul. “Not only did we improve times across the entire team, but we created a culture that propelled us to our successes.”  

With his senior season done, Gaul is able to look back with nothing but positive memories. 

“My favorite memory from the season was going disc golfing with the guys’ team,” said Gaul. “While we all love running we appreciate the time we spend together even more.”