The Student News Site of Pella High School

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pelladium

Strength and Conditioning Review

The fall semester has brought a new opportunity for Pella students. Students can take a strength and conditioning class in place of regular P.E. classes. The focus of this class is lifting weights with proper form, speed, and agility.  This class is run by Megan Clayberg, Corey Thorsen, and Monica Ruiz, along with some Central students who participate in the class to learn about coaching through an internship at Pella High School.

“I think strength and conditioning is a great opportunity for kids,” said P.E. instructor Megan Clayberg. “They seem to buy into this class more than your regular P.E. classes.” 

PHSl works with Central College to develop workouts and a personalized plan for each student. This includes our newest addition to the weight room, TeamBuilder. This app collects weights and keeps a database for each person. The platform organizes workouts and informs each student what weight they need to continue to maximize growth. 

“It creates a routine, a routine I can expand into my everyday life,” explained sophomore Parker Richards.

The design of the class is very simple. The class takes the first couple of weeks to go over form and different mechanical movements. Once people have properly learned how to lift, the class moves into 2 full weeks of workouts which include 4 days a week lifting and 1 day, Wednesday, for speed and agility. After those weeks the class test maxes; Bench, Squat, Hand clean, 40yrd sprint, and verticals. After the test, the class helps you to keep growing.