The Student News Site of Pella High School

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pelladium

The Journey of Creation

Artwork: Mouth Plate by McKenna Salvador

Sophomore McKenna Salvador participates in many of the art classes at PHS as well as outside of school, participating in 4H, as well as participating at the District Art Fair in Des Moines.

“The art show I attended this year was such an amazing experience!” Salvador exclaimed. “I love meeting new people, but especially people who share this intense interest and are so talented.”

With 4H, Salvador shows art at the Mahaska County Fair, as well as at the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines.

“I wasn’t into [4H] the first year, but I’m glad that I stuck with it because it’s given me great opportunities,” admitted Salvador. 

Salvador expresses that she feels everyone has the urge to create something and for her outlet for this is art.

“Humans physically need to create. To put something out into the world, whether that’s art or cooking or even just the energy and attitude you carry, we all possess a subconscious need to contribute to the world,” said Salvador. “I’ve been creating since I was little. I entered my first ceramics class and suddenly the play-doh animals turned into delicate works of art, becoming a new way to showcase my authentic self, not only what I can create but also who I am.”

Salvador expresses that art has been something that came naturally to her since she was little.

“I’ve always loved to do artsy stuff ever since I was little,” confessed Salvador. “Some people say I got it from my dad, but I think eventually I just got bored of coloring books.”

Art has always been present in Salvador’s life and she plans to continue it in her future career.

“I am working towards graduating and then with my diploma, I can get my tattooing license, take an apprenticeship, and go from there.” said Salvador.