The Student News Site of Pella High School

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pelladium

How Do New State Book Laws Affect PHS?

Photo by Shiromani Kant on Unsplash

Earlier this year, Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds introduced a new education bill in the Iowa Senate that mandates that every book in a school library must be “age-appropriate” and must not include any “descriptions or visual depictions of a sex act,” leading to some books being removed from schools across the state. Some school districts have started removing these inappropriate books from school shelves, such as the Mason City school district, which used AI to decide which books should be removed, leading to nineteen books being removed. At Pella High, however, the effects from the new laws have been minimal for librarian Jill Roberts.

“I have always had a policy that when I choose books, I make sure that I read reviews to make sure they’re appropriate for the building,” explained Roberts. “Once they do come in, then I look through them myself, especially things like graphic novels, because I always want to make sure they are appropriate.”

While other schools have had petitions from parents to remove books in the past, leading to the feeling by many that a bill like this was needed, Pella High has never had any issues from parents.

“I have never had any pushback from parents or from the community, overall,” said Roberts. “There are a few books that students have brought to my attention, and we’re reviewing those.”

While Pella High already had an active policy to help enforce that only appropriate books make it to the shelves, and this new legislation hasn’t had much of an effect, other school districts are waiting for guidance from the Iowa Department of Education before proceeding with the removals. While this isn’t an issue for Roberts, she is still keeping an eye on other schools.

“I’m watching what other schools are removing from their libraries,” said Roberts. “And I also have a list of books that could be removed in the future.”