The Student News Site of Pella High School

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pelladium

Thomas’ Season Behind the Scenes

Wrestling season for junior Elizabeth Thomas looks a little different this year. Instead of hitting the mats, she took on the role of team manager while dealing with what she was told was a torn labrum.

While undergoing surgery in mid-December, Thomas was told she had a hip impingement, an injury where the ligament is torn and highly inflamed, with the addition of some bone erosion. With support from friends and family, she’s been able to get through the day with less stress.

“I would say my biggest support has definitely been my mom,” Thomas said. “There’s just so much that she’s helped me with, and she’s always there to make sure I’m okay and asking if I need anything.” 

Some of these tasks included helping her with her socks and shoes, carrying things where they needed to go, and helping her on the stairs. 

“Even though it definitely made her [Thomas’ mom’s] day a little more stressful, it was nice having her there.”

After surgery, Thomas was sent home with crutches and a brace that limited movement and mobility. Getting around at school with multiple levels meant having to adapt. 

“My biggest challenge at school was just trying to get around. So like walking to my classes, I would have to take longer routes to try and avoid stairs.” 

Taking the elevator and having more accessible seating proved more than helpful during the school day for her, as well as having friends carry things and hold doors.

The second year as an Iowa school sanctioned sport for girls’ wrestling would be Thomas’s third for Pella, including going to state three years ago for the school. With her injury cutting into her season, Thomas has been unable to compete. 

“Obviously one thing I miss right now is wrestling,” she said. “I just love being a part of that team. It’s so much fun.”

Thomas’s recovery is in full swing. “I just hope that I can get stronger and gain more strength in my leg and be able to pick up where I left off and hopefully not have too many setbacks.”