The Student News Site of Pella High School

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pelladium

Grand Theft Auto V Review

One of the cover arts for the Playstation 3 version of the game

“Grand Theft Auto V” is a third person sandbox game released on September 17, 2013. The “Grand Theft Auto” series’ first game was published for the Playstation 1 in 1997, and has been a growing and popular game series amidst the gaming community. The series has an ESRB rating of “M (17+)” due to it’s, “infamous reputation of vulgar language, sexual content (partial nudity), intense violence, gambling, use of drugs and alcohol, and blood.”

The main goal of the game is rising from rags to riches on the streets. You can switch control between three protagonists, all with their own special set of skills. In previous Grand Theft Auto games, you only played as one protagonist with average skill sets. For example, in “Grand Theft Auto IV,” you played as Niko Bellic, a Serbian immigrant who moved to New York to live with his cousin Roman. “Grand Theft Auto V” allows you to switch between Franklin, Michael and Trevor, all with a “special ability” to use while in game. A total of 63 “missions” are divided up and assigned to each of the three characters. The story is a real thriller. It’s not your average game that’s predictable on the outcome after the first five to seven missions. The great thing about this “Grand Theft Auto V” is you literally cannot put the controller down. You get to the point where you have to keep playing because it’s like a great suspenseful television series. You have to find out what happens next.

The game takes the setting of a fictional Los Angeles-“Los Santos.” It’s your typical mental picture of a city by the beach that is full of palm trees, beach houses, million dollar mansions, luxury transportation, and everything else you picture the wealthy having. The visuals and details of places are outstanding. The cars are almost a perfect match to the cars in reality. They modified the logos on the cars to avoid legal problems with car companies, but the logos still look life-like to the corresponding vehicle. Rockstar really hit the nail on the head with detail in this game, and it could even be considered “eye candy” and/ or art. The gameplay is phenomenal. They’ve amped up the shooting mechanics, and it has a more fluent and smooth feel to it. In a nutshell, the mechanics of every movement are much more fluent and smooth.

I give this game a 5/5 rating. If you are an avid gamer, I definitely recommend picking this game up. It has a story that will take multiple hours to complete, and the fun doesn’t stop after that. You can free roam, do other various side missions for people, and even rob stores for extra money. There are so many aspects and things to do in this game that other video games have never had. The fluency and smoothness of movements and mechanics are gorgeous and the plot has many unexpected twists that won’t allow you to stop playing. Its a game that you will not regret picking up.

•Jacob Miedema ([email protected])