The Student News Site of Pella High School

Pelladium

Pelladium

Pelladium

GSA Searches for an Advisor

GSA Searches for an Advisor

The Pella GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) club has been a group for roughly 4-5 years, but they are currently looking for an advisor for their club. In previous years the club was able to attend student day at the capital, where students get a seminar on what’s happening in the state with LGBTQ+ issues, and then they get to go to the capital and get a tour.  Then they are taught how to meet with legislators before meeting the legislators for their county. Junior Kaeru Peffers has been looking for an advisor for their club since the school year has begun, but it’s harder than it seems, and without one, they will be unable to go to the capital.

“It’s hard to find a teacher with time since some either are coaches, or they have younger kids or they live far away,” Peffers states. 

The club have very few requirements and requests they have agreed upon for their advisors and students participating in the club and activities.

“We just want them to stay confidential because some students aren’t out to their family or the school,” said Peffers. “Pella’s a farming community and a lot of kids have pocket knives and we just ask that they leave that stuff out of the room and refrain from saying hurtful things.”

The club isn’t exclusive to the community either, they are open to everyone in the building. 

“We allowed everyone even if you weren’t in the community and were just an ally, we wanted everyone to come. Just have fun,” Kaeru said.